Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Set List for Tuesday 5/15 & Monday 5/21

Ok so i'm going to try something a little different on the blog. Instead of just listing my set list i'm gonna try to post a few thoughts on the show, about the music, what my thought process was etc. so here goes..

Another week another show. I haven't rotated out enough cds in my carrying case and backpack so things were looking a little stale. But lo and behold inspiration was waiting for me in the air room. For some reason 4 of the stations Liz Phair cds were sitting in the air room: 2 albums, 1 ep, and 1 cd single. I hadn't played any of these recently (or in the past couple of years) so i thought i'd put them to use. So the first track of Liz Phair's i decided to play was Polyester Bride off Whitechocolatespaceegg . I called it "her last musically relevant album". As soon as i said this i realized many rock critics would disagree and say that Exile in Guyville was her last "musically relevant" album, although i'd disagree. I really like Whipsmart (and played a couple of songs off it). But back to the point i wanted to make (there was one you just didn't realize it). The song "Polyester Bride", does not hold up well. I remember liking it when it came out (1998). But today.. meh.

So i played a song by Rastro, "Kiss Me" (not the Sixpence None the Richer song). And when i said the band's name over the air i realized (after saying the band's name several times on previous shows) that "Rastro" sounds like "Astro" saying his name on the Jetsons ("Rawarge, Rudy"). And i paused for a second and thought that a similar belated realization happened recently (and not to me for a change). I was sitting at the bar with a friend and discussing Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight". I sang the line: "Just like Ronnie said... be my little baby". And in that moment my friend realized the line that he has heard a million times refers to the Ronettes song "Be My Baby", which Ronnie Spector sang.

"Karn Evil 9, carnival 9.. it's about a carnival. i get it now" --myself 10 years ago

Enough ramblings.. on with the show:

Side A

Elvis Costello-Watching the Detectives
Peter, Bjorn and John-Objects of My Affection
Guided by Voices-Teenage FBI
The Coach and Four-Tiger High '85
Liz Phair-Polyester Bride
Sufjan Stevens-Adlai Stevenson
Red House Painters-Byrd Joel
Beulah-Silver Lining
Voxtrot-Trouble
Ladybug Transistor-Today Knows
Mendoza Line-On Stage Dying
Get Up Kids-Regret
Cherry Twister-Leila

Side B

Liz Phair-May Queen
Guided by Voices-Surgical Focus
The Coach and Four-Sleep Skirt
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin-Pangea
Veronica Lake-Saints Above
My Dad is Dead-Where is Our Reason
Rastro-Kiss Me
Nothing Painted Blue-Another Child Bride
Lois-Indie
Liz Phair-Go West
Spent-Umbrella Wars
Soft Blue Lights-Rodney
Sleater-Kinney-Leave You Behind
Of Montreal-Tim I Wish You Were Born a Girl
Belle & Sebastian-Stay Loose

No comments: